With the rapid development of automation equipment, high demand of products’ precision and extensive usage of difficult-to-cut materials in machining, tools broken into work pieces has heavily affected the defective rate of products. The common methods of removing broken taps and drills are smashing items by hand, screwing them out after welding, or even acid corrosion and flame cutting, which contribute to low efficiency and damage to work pieces.
The newly innovated machine NoviMAX-3000 is based on the proven technique of the NoviMAX series, it can fast remove broken taps, drill, drift, screw, plug gauge, etc., without damaging to the work piece, easily process on work pieces at any size, especially effective for large machine tools.
The integral construction of this machine left a space for storage at the bottom of the power box which is convenient for managing the attachments. With a high efficiency in processing, it could remove broken tap, screw and is especially good at processing mark.
We offer you with this portable unit the most powerfull and the fastes broken tool removal unit on the market.
One of the big advantages of using the NOVIMAX machine is it’s portability. Portability allows you to take the machine to the work spot and do the hole making or stud extraction work in place. Without the portable NOVIMAX EDM, broken bolts or taps may require removal of the engine head or block in a car or truck, in order to extract the broken piece. Or to move the heavy workpieces or broken molds to the extraxtion place. Additionally the NOVIMAX Portable EDM machine will work in anydirections, ie, upside down or horizontally, etc. Most EDM machines are not portable and require that the work be taken to the machine.
Wondering the best way to remove broken drill bits from metals? Novick has been providing high quality broken tap, drill, stud, and bolt removal EDM / MDM machines since long, all based on the EDM drilling technology of the Novidrill series. Our technology safely removes the broken drill in seconds without causing any damage to the surrounding part. Our spark erosion and metal disintegration technology often saves our clients thousands of dollars by not causing damage to expensive parts.
Our unique process disintegrates only the center out of a broken tap or drill leaving the threads intact. The process can cut square or round shapes to back out studs or bolts, remove large studs by a series of cuts, emboss identification on rolls of steel, bore holes and counter bore. Our Novimax machine can help you reclaim expensive parts, provide immediate repairs on all types of equipment, and eliminate production overruns and late deliveries.
Desintegrating processing speed in steel
Electrode Ø5 = 2mm/min
Electrode Ø12 =1mm/min
NOVIMAX Metal Disintegrators and Spark Erosion Machines can use any material that conducts electricity as an electrode. However, different materials offer varying levels of efficiency in the process. It is important to use an electrode material that adapted for the job and the work piece.
Materials with low melting points, such as copper, erode as rapidly as the work material, requiring frequent replacement, which adds to your cost. But the burning will go very fast due to the good conductivity of copper/brass. Copper electrodes will get hot. With heat they can bend and warp damaging the hole.
It is important to use an electrode material that breaks down less than the work piece to have a long electrode life. Materials with low melting points, such as copper, erode as rapidly as the work material, requiring frequent replacement. Due to their high melting temperature Molybdenum electrodes outperforming other electrode materials.
Graphite has several advantages over other materials. It is resistant to thermal shock. It is the only material in which mechanical properties increase with temperature. It has a low CTE for geometrical stability. It is easily machined. It does not melt but sublimes at very high temperature (3,400ºC), and finally, its density is lower (five times less than copper) which means lighter electrodes. Graphite removes material better than copper or copper-tungsten while wearing slower. The wear rate tends to diminish as the discharge increases, unlike copper, whose wear increases at higher currents. Therefore, graphite is suited for the machining of large electrodes since working with a high current intensity provides decreased roughing time.
Although graphite is prone to abnormal discharge, this can be eliminated through quality flushing, and lowering the intensity of discharge during negative polarity machining. However, as a result of this tradeoff, machining tungsten carbides is more difficult than with copper-tungsten electrodes. Also, since graphite is a ceramic, it is sensitive to mechanical shock, and consequently must be handled and machined with care.
- Lightweight, small, compact table top design.
- High speed and efficient, low operating costs.
- Easy to use, easy removal of broken taps or other tools.
- After sparking out the midpoint of the tap, or in case of big taps, one shoulder of the tap, it is possible to remove taps of standard sizes M2 - M70. If the electrode is modified in a lathe, possible to remove even bigger taps. After you remove the rest of the tap from thread hole, the thread hole will stay undamaged.
- Uses ordinary tap water as a dielectric. The device can be used directly on the machinery without the need for an external clamped work piece. When used directly on the machine, it uses the coolant emulsion of the machine as a dielectric.
- Uses standard brass rods as electrodes. Ordinary copper rods can also be used.
- Easy to work with large work pieces.
- Removes taps easily without damaging the threads.
- Automatic feed into the Z axis to set the desired depth up to 70 mm.
- Electrode holder till 13mm diameter
- Depth adjustment (depth automatically stops at defined point).
- Selectable shutdown time for accidental short circuiting.
- Optional automatic extraction of the electrode from the hole for the set depth.
- Depth adjustment check indicator, short circuiting indicator, overheat indicator.
- Spark check indicator.
- Possible to use for hole drilling in EDM wire cutters.
- Possible to hole drilling into the sintered carbides (tungsten carbides), other heavily machinable steels and any conductive materials.
|Novimax 3000+||edm competitor|
|Broken tap removal||Tap size||M14||M14|
|Total time (depth=15mm)||min||8,9||23.45|
|Broken Bolt Removal||Bolt Size||M20x2,5||M20x2,5|
|Time for 45 mm Depth||min||84||221|
At Novick we know that time is important to you. However, how often can you get things done faster without sacrificing quality? Not very often. This is not the case here. We have been providing the world with the highest quality EDM machines.
- Low Cost.
- Simple operation to quickly remove tooling with no damage to part.
- Lightweight, compact, easily portable.
- Durable construction for years of reliable use.
The benefits of using our metal disintegrators are numerous.
- SAVE TIME– Broken taps, drills, and bolts can be removed in seconds. This doesn’t have to be a long process using a cheap machine that may even not get the job done. Other technology can take up to hours to get done.
- SAVE MONEY – Our technology allows you to not damage expensive parts that can be destroyed using a cheap disintegrator or spark erosion machine.
- QUALITY – Looking for a used machine? Used machines will not be as efficient. Can you take that risk? Our machines have proven to be faster, more efficient, and the most cost effective method to remove broken tools, studs, taps, bolts, drills or fasteners. These machines leave the hole intact which will minimize damage to expensive parts.
Our tap disintegrators work well with all hardened metals like High Speed steel tooling, Carbides and soft cast metals.
Our Novimax metal disintegrators are sometimes referred to as Spark Eroders. This is a common term used throughout Europe However, spark eroders produce sparks in the application and metal disintegrators do not. So spark eroders are the machines that are used in the electric discharge machining field.
Metal disintegrators are primarily used for bolt removal, tap removal, stud removal, drill removal and seized or broken bolts. The process can also be used for roll marking or branding for rebar identification, tool and die work and metallurgical core sampling. The cutting action of a metal disintegrator is accomplished by creating a series of intermittent electric arcs that break down the hardest metals into minute particles. An electrode, held in the head of the disintegrator, vibrates as it cuts while coolant is pumped through the electrode to wash away the powdered metal.
Metal disintegrators or Metal Disintegration Machining (May be abbreviated as MDM in the machining industry) are primarily used for bolt removal, tap removal, stud removal, drill removal and seized or broken bolts. Other terms used to describe these machines include bolt eater, tap zapper and stud buster.
Metal Disintegrators or MDM machines (Metal Disintegrating Machines) are manufactured for the specific purpose of removing broken tools from work pieces. The metal disintegration process removes a tap, bolt or drill leaving the hole intact and allowing a part to be reclaimed.
The difference between MDM and EDM is speed, cost and accuracy. MDM removes material very fast. MDM uses a spark erosion process commonly used for destructive cutting. Typical application includes broken tool extraction (taps, drills, reamers, drill bits) metallurgical sample excavation and bolt removal. There is no faster or efficient or cost effective method to remove broken tools, studs or fasteners than MDM.
Using an EDM to remove broken tooling is possible, but it is more time-consuming, the equipment cost more and has limitations. First, the part has to be small enough to fit in the dielectric fluid container. Second, an die sinking EDM machine will take hours to extract a 20mm tap, where an MDM will take just minutes. Third, the MDM process does not require submersion of the part. Lastly, die sinking EDM machines are significantly more expensive than MDMs and tying up an expensive production machine with tooling extraction could be costly.